| Early Days of Greenbush|
EARLY DAYS IN GREENBUSH
Daniel Armsworthy was born in Raleigh, North Carolina, April 9, 1804, where he grew to manhood. He learned the hatter’s trade and engaged in the manufacture of wool and fur hats, and traveled over the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia with a line of samples and sold the products of his shop. He was married April 15, 1827, to Elizabeth Crumpton. In 1840, he moved from North Carolina to Tennessee; in 1844, he moved from Tennessee to Stoddard county, Missouri. In 1846, he moved to Greenbush, Warren county, Illinois, and settled in the village, where he resided until 1859, when he moved on a farm ten miles west of Greenbush. On the twelfth day of September, 1866, he moved to Kansas and bought claims with some improvements on what was then known as the Neutral Lands. He afterwards bought the land from the railroad company. His wife died October 5, 1868. Mr. Armsworthy continued to live on the farm up to the time of his death, which occurred September 22, 1880. In politics he was a Whig up to 1856; afterwards a democrat.
To Mr. and Mrs. Armsworthy were born the following-named children: Levi, who went to Oregon in the early ‘50‘s, where he was married and still resides. Martha L., who married Morgan Franks, in 1855; now resides with her daughter in Kansas. Sarah Anna; never married, and is now living with her brother Levi in Oregon, where she went shortly after the death of her father. Miles; died in Greenbush at the age of fifteen years. William W., born December 9, 1841, near Memphis, Tennessee; resided with his parents until their death. He received his education in Greenbush; taught school during the winter and farmed during the summer. He has held several responsible offices in Illinois and Kansas. He was married July 2, 1876, to Mary J. Brown. At that time he was living in Girard, Kansas, and was engaged in the mercantile business. In 1877 he moved back to the farm near Arcadia, Kansas. December 1, 1879, he took charge of a general store at Coal-vale for the Keith and Henry Coal Company, afterwards changed to the Keith and Perry Coal Company and later to the Central Coal and Coke Company, which now has a capital of $7,500,000. They sold out their business at Coalvale, in September, 1880, and went to Rich Hill, Missouri, and opened coal works and store. William W. Armsworthy went to Rich Hill, November 1, 1880, and took charge of the business for the coal company as manager, in which capacity he continued until August 1, 1897. His health failing him, he gave up the position, but remained living in Rich Hill until June 4, 1902, when he moved back to the farm, two and one-half miles west of Arcadia, Crawford county, Kansas, where he now resides. They have four children: Frank, who was born July 25, 1877, is married and has two children; he now resides in St. Louis, Missouri. Marcalina, born February 25, 1879. Myrtle, born August 9, 1881. Mary J., born June 4, 1890. These girls are living at home with their parents.