Early Days of Greenbush



Line Divider

It was in June, 1851, that the cholera made its appearance in Greenbush and vicinity. There were about twelve deaths from this disease at that time. Lawson Walker was the first one. He died June 15, 1851. Abner Walker and his daughter Abigail died on the same day, June 24, 1851, making three deaths in the same family. Abner Walker lived on the north side of the square in the village and was engaged in keeping hotel. The following-named persons also died: Juliett, wife of Dr. Thomas M. Luster, June 26, 1851; Joseph Sisson, June 23, 1851; Abijah Roberts, June 23, 1851; Sullivan, son of Alfred Osborn; Lafayette Ratekin, George Tally, Jacob Perkins, and A. J. Willey.

Several families left the village and did not return until after the disease disappeared. Porter J. Jack and John C. McCall took an active part in doing everything they could for the sick and dying. Philip Karns was also very helpful in removing the dead to the cemeteries and burying them.

Back Home Next