From: The Past and Present of Warren County, Illinois,Chicago. H. F. Kett & Co. 1877.
Was laid out by C.C. Dixon in 1872, who owned the farm on which the village is platted. He had settled here in 1834, at a time when there was but one house between his and Monmouth, then containing but four or five houses.
No village was thought of until the Rockford, Rock Island and St. Louis railroad was contemplated. The company guaranteed the location of a depot to some ten or twelve residents who were active in securing the right of way through the township. Foremost among them was C.C. Dixon and J.W. Bridenthal. These located the station on the present site and Mr. Dixon at once took steps to lay out the town. The village plat and farm were afterwards purchased by Mr. Bridenthal, the present owner. Mr. T. H. Norwood opened the first store and the post office in the dwelling of Henry Redout. Shortly after John Hodgen and John Young erected the present store room occupied by Mr. Young and Graham. One or two additional stores have been opened and a good carriage and wagon shop is now in operation.
A large quantity of grain is shipped from this point. For the year 1876 331 car loads of grain were shipped. In addition to this, 70 car loads of live stock were sent to market.
The town and post office were given the name of Lenox. As there was a Station North of Monmouth by that name. Until it was discontinued, the village and office was called Lenox Station.
One of the oldest district schools in the township is located here. As soon as the school population of the community warranted the erection of a house, a small structure was built. This was used with an occasional enlargement and repair, until 1876, when the present structure, one of the best in the township, was erected.
The attendance is now about forty scholars, which require the services of one teacher.
For several years past a Presbyterian church was maintained. About twelve years since through the effort of Mr. Dixon, who donated a lot, a comfortable house of worship was erected, and zt one time quite a congregation had grown up, and regular preaching was sustained. Owing to removals and other causes has so diminished the church that the organization was disbanded, the remaining members going to Monmouth or to other churches. The Methodists now occupy the church but as yet have no organization.