The United Presbyterian Church of Spring Grove was organized June 22, 1855, by Rev. Matthew Bigger of the Presbytery of Monmouth, with fifty-one members. The first pastor was Rev. James C. McKnight, who was ordained June 11, 1856, and remained over four years. Rev. Wm. Graham was next pastor and continued this relation until his death, in the Fall of 1863. Rev. Thomas P. Patterson was ordained Oct. 27, 1864, and was pastor until April, 1868, and continued his work for five years. The present pastor is the Rev. Rufus Johnson, who began June 15, 1876. The present number of members is about seventy. This congregation own a large house of worship costing about $4,000 and a good parsonage with three acres of ground.
The Church of God is located in southeast quarter of Sec. 10, Spring Grove township. It was organized in 1865 by Rev. Rudolph White, and the earliest meetings were held in the school house in district No. 4. Among the original members were Jehu Bailey and wife, D.C. Swiller, wife and three children, John Cannon and wife, and others. The church was built in 1867 and cost $1,600. The present pastor is Rev. Thos. DeShiria. Membership about twenty-five and Sabbath school the same; John Simcox, Superintendent.
Source: The Past and Present of Warren County, Illinois, containing a history of the county–its cities, towns &c., a biographical directory of its citizens, war record of its volunteers in the late rebellion, portraits of early settlers and prominent men, general and local statistics, map of Warren County, history of Illinois, Constitution of the United States. Chicago. H. F. Kett & Co. 1877.